The holidays are a fun and exciting time! It's the most wonderful time of the year, right?! In all the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, it's also very easy to overplan and stretch yourself to the limit. An overwhelming to do list is not uncommon, and that takes away from the enjoyment of this wonderful time. In the season of giving to others, it's also important and HEALTHY to remember to relax, destress, and take care your yourself too!
Here are some of my favorite ways to relax and enjoy a little rejuvenating "mommy time":
1. Take a breath. Meditation heals a multitude of stressors. Sometimes all you need to gain a better perspective is to sit in a quite spot, breathe deeply, and think.
2. Get your yoga fix. Even a few minutes of stretching and balancing can help you literally find your center and concentrate on yourself. The health and exercise benefits of yoga are also an added bonus!
3. Sip on your favorite seasonal beverage. I love all the holiday flavors at Starbucks right now. Nothing calms me during a busy shopping trip like a festive flavor from their red holiday cups. My Keurig is also my best friend this time of year. When I need an pick me up to get through an exam or keep up with my daughter, I have to go no farther than my kitchen. Whether you love hot chocolate, coffee, eggnog, or cider, there are lots of new flavors and old favorites out for the season, so sit back, relax, and sip to unwind.
4. Get a mani pedi. Whether you want to pamper yourself at home or let someone else do it for you, you'll look great and feel great! I have a foot spa that bubbles and heats water and enough bath salts and foot soaks and nail polish to open my own spa ;) so if I'm super busy, I'll just do it myself. My sweet little girl got it for me for my birthday this year! There is not too much that a nice foot soak, lotion, and a little polish won't fix!
5. Take a bath. If you really need to relax more than your fingers and toes, take a bubble bath and soak it out! Shopping and baking and keeping up with kids is hard work! Take a dip with your favorite scent of bubble bath. You deserve it.
6. Light a candle. Ever heard of aromatherapy? I'm currently burning Bath and Body Works' Pumpkin Carmel Latte, but they also have this one from their stress relief line. Anything lavender scented is also great for inducing relaxation, but I feel like cozy fall and winter scents work well for me too!
7. Read a book. What better way to forget your holiday stress for a little bit than to escape from it? My current favorite is Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnelly, available here. (Hint: It's about mermaids.)
8. Write it out. Sometimes keeping a journal or just writing things down occasionally is the best way to get things off our chest. Blogging works for me ;)
9. Pray about it. The little things and the big things, God says we can bring them to him. Whether you're worried about Christmas finances or burning the turkey, let go and let God take your troubles. Talk about relief!
10. Read your Bible. The Ultimate Counselor has this amazing book with a ton of the best advice we'll ever receive if we only seek it out. There are Bible verses for hard times, look them up and feel the peace they bring to your heart and mind.
11. Phone a friend. I love my friends because those women know how to listen and they know my heart. Sometimes a vent sesh with them is exactly what I need, and they are always there for that. (Love y'all!!)
So there you go, 11 of my favorite quick and easy ways to unwind when I need it most! Do the holidays stress you out from time to time? What are your favorite ways to unwind? Comment below!